Skip to main content

We Live and Breathe Words

                                  
"We live and breathe words. It was books that kept me from taking my own life after I thought I could never love anyone, never be loved by anyone, again. It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone."
My favorite book quote is a quote about books.
I am not sure how many people out there are familiar with this quote, but it is pretty popular within Cassandra Clare's following. Cassandra Clare is the author of the Shadowhunter Chronicles and Magisterium, the author of the character who said this. The character who said this, William Herondale, in The Infernal Devices, was "cursed" and believed that everyone who loved him would die. He extracted himself from his family and ran away to people who learned to love him even though he made himself as horrible as possible. He was telling the girl that he is in love with that books kept him from doing something that he'd eventually regret. Later in the trilogy, he learned that he was not cursed, and he regretted everything hurtful he'd done to anyone he'd come in contact with. The quote remained though, and so has my love for it.
Why is this the quote that encompasses me as a whole? Thanks for asking! I live and breathe words, too. I surround myself with them everyday, every hour, taking them in and consuming them, taking them to heart. Stories and authors of stories have made me who I am and I could not be more grateful. They changed the way I thought about certain aspects of life and make me think harder and deeper every time I read something new.
The second line is a bit grim, but true for the character. Not for me. I can say honestly, though, that when I was upset, I turned myself over to a book and let that take me away from reality for a while. I would turn myself into the character and made myself believe that the problem the character had was the exact issue I had. All problems in books are solvable, I learned. In life, it doesn't seem like that, but they are solvable. Everyone has to learn that, and books are one way I figured that out.
During the move from one house to another, all my books got packed away. For more than six months, they've been sitting somewhere in boxes. I cannot wait to unpack them and read them again, not realizing how certain ones being gone would affect me. I still had a couple books left, my favorites, in my small room, taken to school, carried in my purse when we went five minutes away to Target. I would read and walk at the same time, tuning the world out and surrounding myself in the story. It wasn't very hard to forget about the mean house people or the rude cheerleading parents if I kept my head down in a book. I might have looked alone, reading in the hallways and in between bells at my old school, but I was anything but. Characters are like old friends to me, people I surround myself with in my head and I was certainly never alone when I had a book in my hands.
This link is for you to use at your leisure, full of a fraction of quotes in the popular book series, The Infernal Devices written by Cassandra Clare. This is one of my absolute favorite book series' and I hope you enjoy the quotes there so much that you find yourself entranced and wanting to read the books.

Comments

  1. This is a really nice quote! You described how whenever you read, words surround you, taking you to a different world. Exactly how I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quote was AMAZING! I totally agree about what you said about words surrounding you. I personally love to read too and love the feeling of reading a book and tuning out the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your quote

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmigosh!! That quote literally describes my life and my infatuation with books. I have tears in my eyes. Not only is this quote from the most amazing book series and said by the most fascinating (and stunning) book character the world has ever known, it also makes me nostalgic for old times. Times when I would sit side by side with my parabatai and read with her, laugh with her, and cry with her over this fantabulous series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are definitely kindred spirits, Natalie. I "live and breathe words" too, as you hopefully can tell! So glad to have you in class this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is