Skip to main content

Things I Learned Last Year (2015-16)


Things I Learned Last Year

No matter how long I wait,
freshly painted nails chip.

To truly let my writing flow,
I have to leave my thoughts uncensored.

America is bigger than it seems,
and the North can be frigid
with manners like . . .
wait - there are no manners in the North.

You learn your capabilities
rather fast in certain situations.

Love wins but
hate still lives

The difference between traveling and moving:
when you're traveling, you have a home to go back to
but when you're moving, you have to make
a place, that is clearly just a house, a home.

Back where I used to live
my best friend has befriended
the girl who has taken over my old bedroom.


Reflection: 

Alright, so that was pretty much my year, summarized in a few veeery poetic stanzas, am I right? So, moving on, my year was a lot of self-reflection, because this year, I've had a lot of time to myself. In February, I was told that I was going to move from North Carolina, my home for seven years, to Ohio, a place that was foreign and exotic-sounding to me. If, in fact, you think I was excited, I was not. I was absolutely not excited to move away from anything. A lot of the stanzas (2,3,4 & 6, in fact) are thoughts I've had throughout the whole "moving houses, moving schools" process (which is very hard, by the way, when you've surrounded yourself with 60 people for 7 years and then move to a school with roughly 4000. I don't recommend it). I feel as if I start going into detail about anything, I'm going to get off track, so I'm going to move onto stanzas 1 & 5. Stanza 1 is extremely relatable for all women. I don't even feel like I need to explain that. The fifth stanza is my absolute favorite, the one about love and hate. When you read it, there's a lot of meaning that goes into it and many different ways to interpret it, but at the same time, it's extremely simple.
I discussed a little bit about how certain parts of the poem affected the tone. A lot of it was simple and honest, making it a very simple and honest poem. I didn't really feel like hiding how bad my year was; there was no point for me. So I threw a lot of it there, showing clearly what it was like. I also think the simplicity of it can make it hard-hitting and woah-feeling. I didn't have a specific tone I wanted to convey, but when I sat back down and looked at it, I like how a lot of it had a simple and honest tone.
Things I Learned Last Week by William Stafford is the poem I imitated. It's a funny, thoughtful and sarcastic poem, and I didn't really follow any of those paths (except maybe thoughtful). There's only two main comparisons I can think of. The poem has 7 stanzas, the first two stanzas have 2 lines, the third has 4, the fourth and fifth have 2, the sixth has 4 and the last stanza had 3 lines. I imitated that structure. The other one is that his was a list of scattered thoughts, pretty much like mine. The contrast is that I can't write humor, or anything relatively funny. That's where our poems divert in paths; his has sarcastic, funny humoristic lines to it, whereas my poem is pretty honest, deep and sentimental.

Personal Reading Update!: so far, I have read 10/35 books, and I have about 13 that I want to finish by the end of the month, making 23/35 by the end of January. I've already read one book that was recently published (out of the four I set for myself), and I'm really excited to read more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is