Skip to main content

4th Quarter Poetry Journal Reflection

No Map Response (4/28/16)
I smile at Emily, and she smiles back.
"My competition is on Friday, Regs," she says. "I'd like you to be there."
"Of course," I say, because I can't remember a summer where I didn't watch my little sister surf.
"I'm going to win this year," she says confidently, as if I said I doubted her. She smiles fiercely, and then runs off, probably to go surfing with her friends as practice.
I remember watching Emily's first surf competition, summers ago, when she was six and I was twelve. It was the summer she surfed for a recreational league that focused on learning the basics of surfing. Still, she wanted to sign up to be in a competition, even though she'd only practiced on simulated waves with a board so beat up and used that you knew just had to have belonged to seven people before her.
Courtney and I sat on a blanket on the sand with a perfect view of Emily when she started to paddle out. Already, she looked a little rocky, like she didn't really know what she was doing. She got far enough out, and laid on her board, waiting for the perfect wave to catch. My entire family was holding their breath. I don't think I blinked.
Then, between one blink and the next, Emily disappeared. Her board dipped, but Emily was gone. She'd fallen off her board, but I didn't know that at the time. Instead, I thought she got eaten by sharks, or something equally horrifying.
I started screaming, yelling for her to come back up. I was scared to death, crying for my younger sister, just wanting her to come back to me.
No doubt Courtney was scared, too, but she never showed it. She took my arms, pulled them around and forced me to face her. "Emily's fine," she said steadily, shaking me a bit, and I stopped screaming. "She just fell off. She'll get back up and try again, okay? You hear me, Regan?"
I nodded and turned back to face the endless horizon. Emily eventually popped out of the water after what felt like five year, but was really only five seconds later. I cried, and ran towards Emily and held her tight once she got back on the sand, not wanting to ever let her go again.
Emily smiled, telling me that she was okay, that everything was fine. "I swam with the fish," she claimed excitedly, pulling away from me. "They showed me the mermaids!" I was too overwhelmed that I didn't tell her to shut up, that none of that was real, like I usually did.
Emily didn't get beat easily, not even when she was young. In that way, she reminded me of Courtney. She didn't need a map, to show her anywhere, because she would make her own, ignoring all the dark places, pretending they didn't exist.
The thing was, when Courtney and Emily ignored the dark places, I did too. It was easy to just forget about them when they didn't come after you. But now, with Courtney classified as a runaway and my younger sister finally, finally, defeated, I had to wonder.
Do my sisters have a map of the dark places after all?

I chose this piece because I felt like it best established the relationship between the main character and each of her sisters. While writing this, I had a line from the poem embedded in the piece, but I felt like it was almost trying too hard, so I decided to not put it in there word for word, but almost allude to it. I also made the piece longer, and added more description about the day Emily fell off the board, because in the original, it was more of a "she fell off, now I'm screaming." So I added the blanket, and the family watching before she fell off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is