Skip to main content

Hey Man, You've Gotta Read This

I'm going to be quite frank: my to-read shelf has 437 books on it.

That's a lot of books. Obviously.

But there are definitely a select few I want to read in the very near future, but they're on the shelf for a reason: I still really want to read all of them.

For now, here are five books that made the top of the list:

Related imageThe Last Beginning: Lauren James.
I read the first book after I had it shipped from Australia because I wanted to read it so badly. Needless to say, I think I'll be doing the same thing for this book sometime in the near future because Lauren James is a British writer and the first book (The Next Together) hasn't even been published in the United States yet. (Um, hello? Publishers? Are you going to get on that please? I need all my other American friends to see how cute Katherine and Matthew are and how AMAZING this book is!) The Last Beginning is the companion to The Next Together, about a girl named Clove who is determined to find her lost relatives, but it's kind of difficult when they've been reincarnated at every key point in history.

Image result for a study in charlotteA Study in Charlotte: Brittany Cavallaro
I've wanted to read this book for a very long time, to the point where I don't even remember why I wanted to read it in the first place, but I still very much need to. The story puts James Watson and Charlotte Holmes through the investigation of a murder that happened on their school campus (and yes, I believe the Watson-Holmes does have something to do with our favorite Sherlock Holmes, considering the synopsis on Goodreads tells us that Sherlock Holmes is her great-great-great grandfather). I read a sample of the book, and I really enjoyed it, (especially because it seemed like Holmes and Watson weren't going to work together so well at first) but I think Barnes and Noble took it off their shelves, so I'll have to order it online sometime soon.

Image result for a million worlds with youA Million Worlds with You: Claudia Gray
I picked up the first and second books of this series last Thanksgiving holiday (around my birthday) with a Barnes and Noble gift card because the books I wanted weren't there and the covers of these two were super cool. I have been anxiously waiting the arrival of the third book, and here it is! Cover just as beautiful as all the others! The basic storyline of the first book (because I don't want to give anything away) (the first book is called A Thousand Pieces of You) is that Marguerite's dad was murdered by his apprentice of sorts, who steals the piece of technology they'd been working on to jump through dimensions and get away with murder. Of course, Marguerite doesn't like that, so she finds another Firebird, the piece of technology that will allow her to jump dimensions, to chase after him. It's a really fun read.

Image result for a tale of two citiesA Tale of Two Cities: Charles Dickens
Is anyone familiar with Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices series? Well, it takes place in England in 1878 and the main characters like to quote from older books, like a Tale of Two Cities. A Tale of Two Cities is mentioned quite a bit, so my friend decided to read it. Even though she didn't like it so much, I still really wanted to read it, just to see. Now, I have this huge book that has A Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations all in one. I will definitely be reading it really soon, since it is now in my house. A Tale of Two Cities is about two men in England, Sydney Carton and Charles Darnay, who both fall in love with Lucie Manette after her father has returned from prison. I'm really interested to see where it goes and how it relates to The Infernal Devices.

Image result for tales from the shadowhunter academy hardcoverTales from the Shadowhunter Academy: Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson and Robin Wasserman
(I don't recommend reading on if you don't want spoilers about things that happen at the end of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series.) I have been waiting for this book for as long as I can remember: first, Cassandra Clare announced that she was going to be releasing short e-books, one at a time, until there were ten released. She did the same thing a few years back about Magnus's story (TFTSA are Simon's story). Well, once the e-books were released, I waited anxiously for the publisher to bind them up and sell them in hardcover, like they did with the Bane Chronicles. It's been a little over a year now, and it's been released since the beginning of November and I'm so excited to get a copy! I've waited for this book for a little over two years probably! A wait like that is awful for a reader, trust me. Anyway (now here are the spoilers, to the people who read on regardless of my warning up above), Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy detail Simon's adventures after he is brought back to the human world after dying and losing all of his memories about the Shadow world. He goes to school and gets trained to become a Shadowhunter while having all these really fun escapades in between.

These are just the top five out of the 437 I'm still waiting to read. Hope some of these sparked your interest (because a lot of these are series books that are worth reading and waiting for). Read on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is