Skip to main content

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Part 2


I thought this was fun to do a couple months ago, and I've decided to do another post like it. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly of 2017 so far.


THE GOOD:
    Image result for ready player one
    Image result for lord of shadows
  1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline was surprisingly intoxicating. I'm not a gamer, and never have been, but I found that I couldn't have cared less about the gamer-basis of the story. I liked it, don't get me wrong, and the concept was great. I really loved how the book addressed the difference that technology can have on our lives. I also enjoyed how the main character realized that our lives can't be a game, and that we have a duty to the real world, not a world that was created to be an oasis for us. Lastly, I liked how the main character and all the other characters learned that it's not about what we look like that's important; it's the make up of our minds and thoughts that make us who we are. 
  2. Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare was an engaging read. The second book in the Dark Artifices series, this sequel didn't disappoint. With dark twists and turns leading Jules and Emma and Cristina and Mark through Faeire and out, this book was crazy up until the very end, where I sat shocked with the copy of it in my hands. The ending surprised me the most, and is the only thing I can think about now that I've finished reading it. I understand why Cassandra Clare made that choice, no matter how surprising, but sometimes when I least expect it, I imagine being in Julian's position and I find that it physically hurts my heart to think about after that ending. I'm already anxiously expecting the third installment of the Dark Artifices series, and if this is the first time you've heard of Cassandra Clare, I recommend her first series, The Mortal Instruments, to pull you into the Shadow World.
Image result for 99 days
THE BAD:
  1. 99 Days by Katie Cotugno was not what I was expecting. I thought the concept for this book was good, but I didn't like the main character. I think the biggest complaint I have for this book is that the main character, Molly, made a mistake, then ran away from it, came back to the situation, and then made the same mistake again. She loved running away, and it was her default setting when in a situation that she didn't see was in her favor. She also made the same mistake twice, and knowingly, so her character arc was pretty much nonexistent. But, if you're into those love triangles with two brothers and a summer full of romance, you might give this book a shot. Despite the main character and all her flaws, the story wasn't what I would describe as "ugly" but bad enough to not be a satisfying read. 
Image result for something in betweenTHE UGLY:
    Image result for something in between melissa de la cruzImage result for something in between melissa de la cruz
  1. Something in Between by Melissa de la Cruz was loooooong. It was so long. When I say this book was long, it was unnecessarily long. There were many aspects of this book that could have been cut out. Other than that first initial thought, I do want you to know that I wanted to like this book. The topic (immigration reform) is something that is highly controversial, especially in America right now. In the end, the book turned out to have a great concept, but horrible character, plot and theme execution. First of all, like I mentioned earlier, it's long. 400 pages is too long for a book like this, and I found many little bits and pieces where I thought didn't belong and could have been cut out. The main character, Jasmine, seemed to have no flaws.  She was basically the perfect golden girl. To go along with her perfect academic record, she was also a cheerleader. I was a cheerleader a couple of years ago, and I appreciated the first couple paragraphs of the book talking about what a cheerleader is really like. Other than that, I hated the part where (spoilers ahead) the team goes to Nationals after Jasmine blew it for the team at Regionals. It felt too perfect and too good to be true and I hated it. I felt like it would have been better for Perfect Jasmine if she didn't get to go to the cheerleading competition of her dreams, because at least that meant there was one thing in the book that at least felt realistic (spoilers over). Honestly, you could have kept the cheerleading bit out of the  book entirely. Now, I know people have strong opinions when it come to politics, and I am no exception. Immigration reform is something the politicians in our country debate about everyday, and I've you've learned anything about a well crafted argument, you know that you have to address a counterclaim and then craft a rebuttal. This book didn't do that. I understand how people feel about immigrants in this country on both sides. One particular side seemed to be ignored, the side that believes that illegal immigrants should not be in America because they aren't documented. Seeing as many undocumented immigrants have committed crimes that have often cost the life of a child, that side has many pieces of solid evidence on their side. I was disappointed when this book hardly even addressed that side of immigration reform, and only talked about how undocumented immigrants should be granted the right to stay if they've lived in America for a long time and haven't done any bad. I agree that if they haven't done anything wrong, it's awful for them to be deported, but people do have to do the right thing and come into the country the right way. So, I was disappointed when this book didn't have any counterclaims to that except it's not fair. Nothing in life is fair. Moving on, there was bit about marriage in there that I thought was totally uncalled for and completely stupid, but the characters were desperate at that point in the book, so I understand why it was in there. But still, uncalled for and completely stupid. I think the only time I really liked Jasmine was when she said that she couldn't do it. Speaking of marriage, I thought there were way too many fights between Jasmine and her love interest. I think a lot of those fights were unnecessary and could have been cut out, once again saving the story from 400 pages of long text. And then speaking of characters, there was one that I felt was unnecessary and not needed to move the plot along. Cutting this character out would have also saved the book a lot of space. Jasmine sounded like a 13 year old narrator. She called her parents "Mommy" and "Daddy" regularly throughout the book. Though this was justified through Filipino culture, it still felt little kid-ish, coupled with the fact that she tried to talk to the readers and said things like "eek" and "boy-radar." There were also texting bits that felt awkward and forced. Lastly, I thought the book ended too soon. The solution and the wrap-up was too fast. It felt fake and, based on all the hardships the characters took to get them to the end, wasn't an ending that did the story justice. Coupling all these details together, this book truly wasn't one I enjoyed at all. It wasn't realistic enough for me, and it was hard to read because the main character was seemly perfect with the voice of a 13 year old. Take this with a grain of salt because these are my own opinions, but I don't recommend this book to anyone. Seeing as most people these days don't have a lot of time, the whole 432 pages thing is already unappealing already. For these reasons, I've made this book the ugliest book I've read so far in 2017. 
Image result for 2017Final disclaimer: these are all my opinions. I don't mean to hurt feelings or push you away from a book that you've wanted to read. By all means, read the book that I deemed the ugliest and form your own opinion. I'd love to hear it. For now, that's all on the good, the bad, and the ugly from 2017 so far. 

      Comments

      Popular posts from this blog

      The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

      The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

      Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

        Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

      The Bronze Key Book Review

      To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is