Skip to main content

Summer 2018 Independent Reading Reflection


*Due to the time-consuming nature of linking all of the titles and authors' names, I have decided to stop doing that. However, if you go to Goodreads, you can search the book's title and they'll give you the summary of the book, the average rating, and other readers' reviews.*



Image result for meet cute book cover
Image result for six of crows cover
Image result for carve the mark coverThe Upside of Unrequited - Becky Albertalli
Carve the Mark - Veronica Roth
The Fates Divide - Veronica Roth
Paper Hearts - Ali Novak
How to Read Literature Like a Professor - Thomas C. Foster
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
Crooked Kingdom - Leigh Bardugo
Theogony and Works and Days - Hesiod
Dream Angus - Alexander McCall Smith
Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet - Jennifer L. Armentrout and contributors
Oedipus Rex - Sophocles

Wow. Summer flew right by again, didn't it? I'm happy and also disappointed in the amount I was able to read this summer. I felt like I'd made some good choices, in addition to all the summer work books I had to do for class. I'm going to do a couple sentences review over each book on the list just because it is so small. Let's get straight to it.

The Upside of Unrequited: SO CUTE. Loved the LGBTQ+ representation, and how I could relate exactly to the main character's thoughts. I appreciated the character development and how true to current day teen pop culture Albertalli stayed.

Carve the Mark and The Fates Divide: Enjoyed every last word. Roth is one of the most inspiring authors to me, and I enjoyed this new world she created for us. I especially liked her plot points and how she weaved character development into those crucial parts of the books.

Paper Hearts: I read Ali Novak as almost a guilty pleasure read, just because they're so cute and fluffy. I smile for hours after finishing one of her novels, and this one did not fail me. Representative of every fangirl's dream, I recommend this novel if you're looking for a pick-me-up from the harsh reality of life.

How to Read Literature like a Professor: You guessed it: I read this novel for summer homework! But it was eye-opening for me, someone as interested in literature as I am. With witty and intelligent commentary, I found that the author never lost me in a sea of mumbo-jumbo, even when he could have.

Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom: WOW. Bardugo has talent. She has the ability to weave the web of a story like no author I've ever seen. I could hardly put these books down, and I'm still craving more. Her characters were rich and amazing to read, and the plot was full of unexpected turns. If you're looking to be surprised and entertained, look no further than this duology.

Theogony and Works and Days: I read this for a mythology class of mine. I appreciated all the different myths it represented, and the lesson of how motifs can be interpreted and represented differently based on an author's agenda.

Dream Angus: I have to say, this novel frustrated me at times, because it jumps from myth to modern day with very little transition time. However, I appreciated how masterfully the author was able to tie in pieces of the myth to his modern-day characters, and how it all lent itself to one greater story.

Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet: THIS WAS ADORABLE. With so many best-selling authors, how could I have not picked this up? I loved this book to its core, and each little story made me want more. This was also a pick-me-up summer read, and if you're feeling like you'll need one of those in December, this will do just the trick.

Oedipus Rex: I also read this book for my mythology class, and I loved going over all of the metaphors and deeper meanings in the play. Highly recommend, but only if you're willing to do the deep, analytical thinking over the text (and have the time for it!).

All in all, I'm happy with what I ended up reading over the course of the summer. If you're feeling down, or college apps have you feeling blue this first semester of school, these books are short and quick pick-me-ups that are just the right kind of medicine. Until next time: keep reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is