Skip to main content

Together We Burn Book Review

IbaƱez's best yet, Together We Burn can be described in a million different ways. My top choices? Addictive, spellbinding, magical, imaginative, and explosive, to name a few. Detailing a story of a stubborn and fierce flamenco dancer and her unlikely dragon-training partner, this novel is sure to set the YA fantasy novel alight, and draw in readers eager for lush, exciting prose. I can't wait to recommend this book to readers who want an exhilarating and utterly satisfying YA fantasy read. 

Isabel IbaƱez is the author of Woven in Moonlight (Page Street), listed among Time magazine's 100 Best Fantasy Books of All Time. She was born in Boca Raton, Florida, and is the proud daughter of two Bolivian immigrants. Isabel has a profound appreciation for hisotry and traveling and loves hosting family and friends around the dinner table. She currently lives in Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband, their adorable dog, and a serious collection of books. Say hi on social media: @IsabelWriter09. You can find more of my reviews of Isabel's works here

Eighteen-year-old Zarela Zalvidar is a talented flamenco dancer and daughter of the most famous Dragonador in Hispalia. People come for miles to see him fight in their arena, which will one day be hers. But disaster strikes during one celebratory show, and in the carnage, Zarela's life changes in an instant. With the dragon guild trying to wrest control of her inheritance from her, Zarela has no choice but to train to become a Dragonador. But when the most talented dragon hunter left in the land—the infuriatingly handsome Arturo DĆ­az de Montserrat—withholds his help, Zarela cannot take no for an answer. Without him, her world will burn. 

I am super stubborn, so I related with Zarela immediately, and then was so gratified with how IbaƱez shaped her character. It is so nice (understatement) to have a fantasy heroine who is afraid—who doesn't want to fight, who doesn't know how to use any type of sword, but has a passion for the arts, for dancing. I love the idea of having a girl who is scared but has to overcome that fear to save her family and to save her family's legacy. Zarela's stubbornness and determination, in tandem with her passion for dancing and desire to not fight, make for a really refreshing YA character for me, and I'm so glad IbaƱez brought her to life.

What struck me about this world is its sights and sounds, as well as its tastes and noises—really, IbaƱez does a great job immersing readers into Zarela's world, and utilizing all of the senses to draw us into her story. I have to agree with some other reviewers—I do wish more efforts would have been taken to truly build this fantasy world, at a foundational level. For example, having a map at the front, or including more comprehensive descriptions about how this world works, how its evolved, etc. There were some moments I wished for more world building. However, on the flip side, I really did feel immersed in this world, and like I knew it because of how much trust I felt in Zarela's depiction of it. It's a world I can see the author returning to should she please, but also a world that I feel like is self-contained enough for our imaginations. 

I have to concede one point to other reviewers—the villain of the story was one that I predicted from the second time we saw them on the page. However, I don't believe that takes anything away from the novel's charm. In fact, I found great satisfaction in how everything aligned together, almost like how it feels when a puzzle is put together. I was satisfied with the plot twists, because they made sense, and I was gratified with the reveal, because I loved the moment of watching it all slot together. Maybe it's also because I am okay with not thinking too deeply or too far ahead when reading a book where a mystery is involved, but I truly enjoyed the deliberate ducks around the mystery and the development of the romance. Truly, I would describe the plot as satisfyingly paced and the story as fulfilling. 

I've read Woven in Moonlight and Written in Starlight and I fell in love with IbaƱez's writing—and she takes it to the next level with Together We Burn. I don't read a lot of YA fantasy anymore, but the ones that I have read recently don't have the same feel as IbaƱez's, because hers read like absolutely every single word was chosen deliberately, decided upon with great care. It makes for a much richer reading experience, as the words pull you in, make you relate to Zarela, and help a reader fall deeply into Zarela's world and story. IbaƱez's greatest power in her storytelling is her deliberate use of words.

I hope IbaƱez keeps writing, as I definitely will keep reading—whether she returns to Zarela's world or not, Together We Burn has guaranteed that I will always buy and read IbaƱez's works! Say hi to Isabel on social media: @IsabelWriter09. You can find more of my reviews of Isabel's works here

*This review can also be found on my Goodreads page*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is