Skip to main content

Do I Know You? Book Review

A marriage in trouble and a Northern California week-long vacation? What could go wrong? In Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka's newest adult romance brings it all to the table: awkward reunions, the thrill of new things, the high stakes of saving what's most important to you. Eliza's and Graham's story is beautifully crafted to capture what can happy after the happily-ever-after we're so used to, allowing readers to fall in love with romance all over again. 

Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka met and fell in love in high school. Austin went on to graduate from Harvard, while Emily graduated from Princeton. Together, they are the authors of several novels about romance for teens and adults. Now married, they live in Los Angeles, where they continue to take daily inspiration from their own love story. You can find them online at EmilyandAustinWrite.com. You can find more of my reviews of their work here

Eliza and Graham are anticipating an anything-but-sexy week-long getaway to celebrate their five-year anniversary. Nestled on the Northern California coastline, the resort prides itself on being a destination for those in love and those looking to find it. For Eliza and Graham, they might as well be on vacation with a roommate. When a well-meaning guest mistakes Eliza and Graham as being single and introduces them at the hotel bar, they don't correct him. Suddenly, they're pretending to be perfect strangers, and it's unexpectedly . . . fun. Eliza and Graham find themselves flirting like it's their first date and waiting with butterflies in their stomachs for the other to text back. Everyone at the retreat can sense the electric chemistry between Eliza and Graham. But when their scintillating game of role-playing ends, will they still feel the heat? 

Those who know we well know a few things about me: 1) marriage in trouble is not my favorite trope, and 2) rom-com/romance media that centers around "changing onself" to be with their "one true love" is a huge turnoff for me. So, you could say I was maybe hesitant to pick up Do I Know You?—but I'd read and enjoyed The Roughest Draft and attended the authors' launch event for the novel and for Amy Lea's Exes and O's and figured I just needed to check it out. And I'm so glad I did. I think Do I Know You? completely tops The Roughest Draft; the characters are more relatable, the stakes are higher, the setting is romantic despite the tense situation, all making for a novel that I read in two sittings. I believe this pair does tropey romance justice by both deviating from the norm and staying in line: their marriage is in trouble and (spoiler alert) they resolve their problems, but there's two beds instead of one, and while you may think it's forced proximity, it's more like forced distance. While Eliza and Graham both adopt personas over the course of the book, they don't change who they are fundamentally in order to reconnect, which I truly, deeply appreciated. All-in-all, I found this to be a really enjoyable read, and I think even those most hesitant about the tropes will find many things to love within these pages. 

Now, let's talk about Graham, because I just adored his character. I think he's probably one of my favorite male MCs I've read in a while. There's this culture around men being super macho and chill and in control of themselves and their emotions—and Graham feels the pressure to be like that, but that's just not who he is. Instead, he's insecure, and wanting to be a better version of himself but struggling to strike that balance over being someone else entirely. I love how his insecurity is portrayed in Do I Know You? because it ebbs and flows depending on his relationship status with Eliza. I think it really goes to show how much of his identity is tied up in his marriage to her, and how much is riding off of them really working on their marriage. I really bought into the stakes of the book, and was compelled by their romance, through the depiction of Graham's character. 

Emily and Austin both write like they have MFAs—as someone studying writing, this makes reading their books more than just pleasure reading, but also as a kind of study to adapting what one learns to writing a genre so often scorned in literary circles. But, because I study writing and I love romance, I feel like I have a special ability to appreciate a lot of the stylistic choices they do really well, especially in Do I Know You? which includes the parallelism between Eliza's and Graham's journey, both in the metaphysical and physical senses (the alternating POV chapters of how they decide to wear their rings had me tearing up). While the beginning of the novel was super awkward to read, I completely loved how it raised the stakes of the novel, while also viscerally putting readers in Eliza's and Graham's shoes regarding the state of their marriage. Some of these moments permeate the novel, and I was gaping at some of the most awkward and unhinged moments, both from shock and also pure delight at it from a craft level. I also love their figurative language, the use of alliteration and metaphor, even if it sometimes feels more elevated than the characters themselves. I feel like this could definitely be a taste thing, but I just really love their writing at a fundamental level. 

This duo's adult romance novels I think are going to be on the auto-buy list for me in the future, so I can't wait to see what they come up with next! Until then, you can find them online at EmilyandAustinWrite.com. You can find more of my reviews of their work here

*This review can also be found on my Goodreads page*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is