Skip to main content

A Wizard of Earthsea Book Review

My journey through TIME's Best YA Books of All Time continues with Ursula K. Le Guin's classic A Wizard of Earthsea. As much as I tried to love this book, I am unhappy to report that I couldn't, for reasons that I detail below. However, more than anything, I wish I had read this when I was younger, as I feel like I would have truly enjoyed it more as a kid than as an adult. 

Ursula K. Le Guin was born in Berkeley, California, in 1929, and passed away in Portland, Oregon in 2018. She published over sixty books of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, children's literature, and translation. She was the recipient of a National Book Award, six Hugo and five Nebula awards, and was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Visit her website at UrsulaKLeGuin.com. You can find more of my reviews of books from TIME's Best YA Books of All Time here

Ged was the greatest sorcerer in Earthsea, but in his youth he was the reckless Sparrowhawk. In his hunger for power and knowledge, he tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. This is the tumultuous tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance. 

The first thing that I couldn't get behind was Le Guin's world building. Unfortunately, a lot of it occurs in very densely packed paragraphs within the first chapter, with many overwhelming details. For me, when the world is built in its entirety so early on, I get sidetracked and disconnected from the story. Since that's how A Wizard of Earthsea is set up, I felt disconnected from the story after the very first chapter. I could recognize the brilliance of the story without fully engaging in it, or wanting to engage in it, which was disappointing to me. I couldn't fully understand the world, or the motivations of the characters because of the world, making for a very unenjoyable read.

Overall, the story is written very densely. For an adventure story, it's written with a lot of prose, and a lot of "and then this happened" narration. I tend to enjoy stories with dialogue, or at least more interactions between characters. There were a few moments in A Wizard of Earthsea where that occurred, but not many to make it as compelling a story for me as it could be. I enjoyed how each chapter was a sort of mini-story, and that we follow the main character through different adventures, but it got very dull very fast when it was hard to understand what was going on or to understand his motivations. Overall, there were some shining moments, but the entire novel did not stand out for me. 

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of brilliant elements in the book. I enjoyed the concept of the name, and a lot of other metaphysical content. I liked that the "villain" is the shadow that Sparrowhawk creates. Like I mentioned, I think it's brilliant that each chapter is a sort of mini-story. There are some wonderful one-liners throughout the text. However, the world building is too overwhelming, and the prose written too densely for it to be consumed enjoyably in my opinion, leading to a rather overall neutral stance on this book in general.

For more of Le Guin, visit her website at UrsulaKLeGuin.com. You can find more of my reviews of books from TIME's Best YA Books of All Time here

*This review can also be found on my Goodreads page*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is