Skip to main content

I Have Some Questions for You Book Review

This literary look at true crime had me hooked! Makkai is a great storyteller, and I was on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time while reading hoping to figure out who murdered Thalia and how Bodie Kane's, the main character's, personal problems would be resolved. Despite this, I was left feeling pretty unresolved about several things, which may or may not have been the point. 

Rebecca Makkai is the author of the novels The Great Believers, The Hundred-Year House, and The Borrower, and the story collection Music for Wartime. A finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, The Great Believers received an American Library Association Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, among other honors, and was named one of the Ten Best Books of 2018 by The New York Times. A 2022 Guggenheim fellow, Makkai is on the MFA faculties of the University of Nevada, Reno at Lake Tahoe and Northwestern University, and is the artistic director of StoryStudio Chicago. She lives on the campus of the midwestern boarding school where her husband teaches, and in Vermont. 

A successful film professor and podcaster, Bodie Kane is content to forget her past—the family tragedy that marred her adolescence, her four largely miserable years at a New Hampshire boarding school, and the murder of her former roommate, Thalia Keith, in the spring of their senior year. Though the circumstances surrounding Thalia's death and the conviction of the school's athletic trainer, Omar Evans, are hotly debated online, Bodie prefers—needs—to let sleeping dogs lie. But when the Granby School invites her back to teach a course, Bodie is inexorably drawn to the case and its increasingly apparent flaws. In their rush to convict Omar, did the school and the police overlook other suspects? Is the real killer still out there? As she falls down the very rabbit hole she was so determined to avoid, Bodie begins to wonder if she wasn't as much of an outsider at Granby as she'd thought—if, perhaps, back in 1995, she knew something that might have held the key to solving the case. In I Have Some Questions for You, award-winning author Rebecca Makkai has crafted her most irresistible novel yet: a stirring investigation into collective memory and a deeply felt examination of one woman's reckoning with her past, with a transfixing mystery at its heart. Timely, hypnotic, and populated with a cast of unforgettable characters, I Have Some Questions for You is at once a compulsive page-turner and a literary triumph. 

What I loved most about I Have Some Questions for You is how deeply we enter into Bodie Kane's head. And not only present day Bodie Kane, but also adolescent Bodie Kane, and the present day Bodie Kane of two separate "present days" (half of the book is told in 2018, the other half four years later). Makkai takes us through so many iterations of Bodie's psyche, and I felt like I could track how the Bodie of Granby grew to be the Bodie who came back. Not only that, but Bodie is so confident and sure of herself, even when she's not sure of the world around her—this becomes so evident because I started to believe everything Bodie was believing. Her blinders are so strong that it's so easy to feel like you're in her shoes exactly, and thus missing the exact same things as she is. Because of this, I felt like I had a good understanding of Bodie's flaws and her triumphs.

Bodie's story is told through 3 timelines, in a sense—as previously mentioned, the 2018 and 2022 storylines, but also the 1994/1995 timeline, of when Bodie is a teenager. Because of this, I felt that there were several details brought up and partly examined, but not looked at closely enough to feel satisfying. The main things I'm thinking of include the Twitter scandal with Bodie's partner Jerome, the next steps in 2022 following the big twist, and what really stopped any and all of those teens in 1995 from going to the police with more information. I felt like some of the details around the latter were hazy—there was seriously no nosy teen who went to the police with a big breaking detail? I wanted to know how Bodie's reputation also fell during the Twitter scandal, and what type of resolution Jasmine received. And, I felt rather unsatisfied by the ending. While it 100% reminded me of the first season of Serial, I wanted a clearer path forward for all of the characters. It makes sense to me that that might not have been possible, though, so I suppose what I wanted was a bit more of a commentary around why that was the case, and how we should feel about that. 

I understand that not every book needs to make that type of commentary, but I certainly felt like Makkai had the writing chops for it, and I felt that she was halfway there already. I really enjoyed how the book was basically written as if to Mr. Bloch, as if Bodie were narrating this whole thing to him specifically, and how her narration was often separated by comments about nameless/faceless women in the news. I felt like that was working to show how misogynistic the world is, and worked to make a reader feel angry about how slowly the wheels of justice turn, and who they turn for, if they turn at all. The problem is, I was just left with so much anger, and didn't have a clear path forward with those emotions. As I type this, I'm still conflicted, because part of me still thinks that's a powerful way to end things, too. I guess I will just have to keep thinking on this (and maybe that's the point, too. Just to never forget that this is the way the world is). 

I've seen great things about The Great Believers, and I've heard wonderful things about one of Makkai's short stories, so I don't think this is the end by any means of my reading of Makkai's work. Until then! 

*This review can also be found on my Goodreads page*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is