Skip to main content

Witcha Gonna Do? Book Review

If you love high-energy romances that are voice driven with a large cast of misfit characters, you might enjoy Witcha Gonna Do?, the first in what appears to be a series of romance novels following the family members of Witchington's most powerful families, the Sherwood clan. While I enjoyed how fun the concept this one was, it didn't have the level of world building, along with other key elements, I had hoped for to make it a satisfying romance. 

USA Today  and Wall Street Journal bestselling romance author Avery Flynn has three slightly wild children, loves a hockey-addicted husband, and is desperately hoping someone invents the coffee-IV drip. She lives outside of Washington, D.C., with her family, Dwight the cat, and a pack of five dogs all named after food. If she is not reading romance or bingeing reality TV, she is most definitely plotting to take over the world so she can banish Crocs from existence. Visit her online at averyflynn.com

Could it possibly get any worse than having absolutely no magical abilities when you're a member of the most powerful family of witches ever? It used to be that I'd say no, but then I keep getting set up on dates with Gil Connolly, whose hotness is only matched by his ego. Seriously. I can't stand him. Even if I also can't stop thinking about him (specifically kissing him), but we're going to pretend I never told you that part. So yeah, my life isn't the greatest right now, but then it goes straight to the absolute worst hell when I accidentally make my sister's spell glitch and curse my whole family. And the only person who can help nonmagical me break the spell? You guessed it. Gil, the superhot jerk. Now we have to work together to save my family and outmaneuver some evil-minded forces bent on world domination. Oh yeah, and we have to do all that while fighting against the attraction building between us, because I may not be magical, but what's happening between Gil and I sure feels like it. 

While Witcha Gonna Do? was not my favorite read, it is hard to deny the sheer energy in this novel. Flynn capitalizes on the fun concept of witch romances with the first novel in this series, building up a large cast of characters whose romances will be explored down the road. The ones to start it all off are Tilda, who is a witch without powers, and Gil, the double agent whose role is a little shady, even to the reader. But they eventually find their way to one another. If you love forced proximity/must work together romances with a hint of enemies to lovers, then this is one you might enjoy! 

Unfortunately, two key areas didn't line up the way I'd hoped. The first is the world building. I love witchy, paranormal romances, but something that I need as a reader is an understanding of how the world works in order to believe in the characters that inhabit it. The world has to make sense and be clearly explained within the first few chapters. I didn't feel that the world was fully built out to capacity here. I have so many questions about the magic system, how modern day things (WitchyGram, this world's version of Instagram) tied into how Witchington was situated in the modern day world, and how Gil and Tilda were able to grow up with the same identity (witch) but have very different understandings of how the political system for their kind was set up (I never truly understood the difference between the Council and the Committee, and I wondered how if WitchyGram existed, how Tilda hadn't suspected anything about the Council). All-in-all, I think if you don't care much about world building, you can very much enjoy this novel. I personally just love to have a full and complete understanding of the world in witchy and paranormal romances, and I did not have that here. 

The second key area that I struggled with was the writing itself. It is incredibly energetic and very voice driven. While I do tend to enjoy novels like that, and have in the past, there were other parts of the writing that didn't work as well to me for the story. The overly em-dashed and hyphenated words, fourth-wall breaks, and slang in the narration were particularly jarring. While I agree with the argument that Tilda works in social media and that she might use slang a lot and have the type of voice where it would feel like she was narrating her story to followers, I didn't think that translated very well into a novelized form. It was also tricky at times to tell the difference between Gil's and Tilda's voices (which I think contributed to my confusion about the Committee versus the Council I talk about above). Finally, there were some frustrating inconsistencies with how Tilda's body was described that were disheartening to read. I was never quite sure if this was plus-sized rep because of that. 

A super cute over and a super energetic story for sure! I can't wait to include it in Halloween-themed witch romance round-ups. If I do recommend this one, it'll be for people that I'm sure will love the relaxed and energetic vibe to it. For more from Avery Flynn, visit her online at averyflynn.com

*This review can also be found on my Goodreads page*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is