Skip to main content

The House on Mango Street Book Review

As I read the first few chapters of The House on Mango Street, I kept thinking to myself that I was simply appalled at how I was forced to endure Tangerine while in 8th grade. I simply don't remember a single thing about that book other than how miserable reading it made me (me! a voracious reader who literally read everything under the sun!). Every vignette in The House on Mango Street only solidified my belief that this is what I should have had the chance to read in 8th grade, because it would have changed my outlook on what writing and what stories can be. I think, if you ever have the chance to read The House on Mango Street, you should absolutely take it. 

Sandra Cisneros is a poet, short story writer, novelist, and essayist whose numerous awards include NEA fellowships in both poetry and fiction, the Texas Medal of the Arts, a MacArthur Fellowship, several honorary doctorates, and national and international book awards, including Chicago's Fifth Star Award, the PEN Center USA Literary Award, and the PEN/Nabokov Award for Achievement in International Literature. She is the recipient of the Ford Foundation's Art of Change Fellowship, was recognized among The Frederick Douglass 200, and was awarded the National Medal of the Arts by President Obama in 2016. Cisneros is the author of two novels, The House on Mango Street and Caramelo; a collection of short stories, Woman Hollering Creek; two books of poetry, My Wicked Wicked Ways and Loose Woman; a children's book, Hairs/Pelitos; a selected anthology of her own work, Vintage Cisneros; an autobiography, A House of My Own; and, with Ester Hernández, Have You Seen Marie?, a fable for adults. She is the founder of the Macondo Foundation, an association of writers united to serve underserved communities. You can find her online at sandracisneros.com. You can find more of my reviews of books on TIME's Top 100 YA Books of All Time list here

The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero, a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Told in a series of vignettes—sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous—Sandra Cisneros' masterpiece is a classic story of childhood and self-discovery. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

The House on Mango Street is told in a collection of vignettes, some of which are longer than others, and when collated, examine pretty much every feeling under the sun. There's the desire for friendship, the understanding you can have with nature, the horror of people doing truly vile things to you and the ones you care about, and the joy that comes from living despite all of the negatives. While reading about Esperanza's childhood experience, there were elements of my own childhood I remembered, just because that's how powerfully Cisneros was able to write the emotions of growing up. The best things about the vignettes is how they can each stand alone, making them easy to digest in quick bursts, but how they all tie together to create a painting of what coming of age looks like. While some details may feel old now, reading it in 2023, there's a sense of timelessness that exists within, because the vignettes are focused on evoking feelings, rather than nostalgia for a particular era's specificities. 

My copy had a truly beautiful introduction that sold me on the book before I even started it. I had no idea that Sandra Cisneros graduated from the Iowa Writers' Workshop, and she spoke candidly of her experience there and her philosophy on writing. While reading, I felt homesick for Iowa (which may or may not have to do with Cisneros's recollection of her experience there) and felt that I understood what she was attempting to do with The House on Mango Street before reading a letter of it. I am particularly keen on how Cisneros's introduction ended in a way similar to Esperanza's story—the near-autobiographical element of the novel is what makes me trust so implicitly this rendering of coming of age, and what makes it the type of book that I know, had I read it while growing up, would have changed my own philosophy of writing and storytelling. 

Because I didn't get a chance to analyze this during school (which, I'm a nerd, I loved doing and still do!), I will speak about one thing here that I feel strongly about: the lack of quotation marks in dialogue. In some books (like Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses), the lack of quotation marks can be a confusing and frustrating experience. But in The House on Mango Street, I felt that this choice made perfect sense. Esperanza is recreating for readers what it felt like growing up, and growing up is something we experience inside our own heads. At the very least, these vignettes feel like someone's recollection of these moments, rather than a play-by-play of growing up. It makes sense that, as Esperanza recreates these experiences in her memory to go onto the page, that she wouldn't entirely remember the exact words said, and puts them on the page without the quotation marks to mark that. Cisneros is able to create a rhythm by not following the standard rules of punctuation, and to make a point that memory can be hazy, words can fall through the cracks, but the feelings we experienced during childhood will always irrevocably make their mark.

I wish I'd had the chance to read this growing up, or even to read it as part of a class in college as a study on writing, if only to expand my thoughts on the lack of quotation marks into a full-fledged essay. Alas, the world works in mysterious ways, and I am glad I had the chance to read The House on Mango Street, regardless of timing. You can find her online at sandracisneros.com. You can find more of my reviews of books on TIME's Top 100 YA Books of All Time list here

*This review can also be found on my Goodreads page*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is