Skip to main content

A Hyperbolic Review of Hyperbole and a Half

Image result for hyperbole and a half cover(Okay, not really, but I wanted a fun title, and hyperbole was there so I had to use it . . .)
(Also, disclaimer, I read this book probably three weeks ago, so if anything sounds vague, my sincerest apologies, but I've read six books since then.)
(Lastly, this review can be found on my Goodreads, under the username NatalieM22.)

And now! For the review of Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half. For those unfamiliar with this story, it is just a bunch of hilarious stories, mixed with some not-so-hilarious stories, of Allie Brosh's life. A good handful include her dogs, and all of them include a little bit of mayhem.

In class, I already explained that I really don't love the cover. Yellow is just a very unattractive color, especially on a book cover, and even though it pops out, I can't find myself to give this one any excuses. Also, even though the pictures on the front make sense in the story, I don't know if I would have picked up the book if you threw that one in there with a bunch of other humor books. This sounds kind of bratty, I'm realizing, but this "unit" was kind of about book covers, and I can't help but think about it.
Image result for hyperbole and a half
As for the actual book, that's a bit of a different story. It was a nice and refreshing read for me, and it was humorous don't get me wrong, but it was a little less than I expected, which was semi-disappointing. Wait, wait! Let me explain.

The book is divided into colored sections, as you can see if you look at the book from the side, and each color is a new chapter. Now, each chapter in itself was hilarious. I think the chapter about the cake, or the one about the goose, or even the one with the letters to her past selves--okay, they were all so funny, it's hard to chose. But when I think about the entire book as a whole, it wasn't as funny. How, do you ask?

Image result for hyperbole and a halfWell, first of all, the stories were out of order, chronologically, so it was hard bouncing back and forth. She had different dogs in the stories where she was younger versus the ones where she was older, so that was a hint, but it was still inconvenient that I had to rearrange my mind and think, "Okay and now I'm in a story where she's an adult." For the stories where she was younger, I wish those had been in chronological order because I think it would have been more funny if we got to see her childish self doing foolish things one after the other. Doing that would have definitely build up the humor, instead of splicing chapters in where she was an adult.

Image result for hyperbole and a halfSpeaking of being an adult, there were four chapters in the book that felt off. She had two about depression and two about identity. I had nothing wrong with those chapters, except they weren't really funny, but instead deep and threw the book of it's humorous pace just as it was getting on track. I also felt really awkward reading them, because they felt deeply personal, and not exactly written like something you'd publish. I understand completely why they're in there--this is a story of Allie's life and it wouldn't have been complete if she didn't include the low points in her life--but I think they could have been placed better, and written better so I didn't feel awkward or out of place reading them.
Image result for hyperbole and a half
I think those are the only two big problems with the book. In general, I thought the book was hilarious, and I had to stifle my laughter a few times. It was an extremely quick read, and I recommend to people who say, "I want to read, I just don't have time." (Okay, you have time, you just don't use it wisely. Here's Hyperbole and a Half, now spend it wisely.) It was full of hilarious pictures, and accurate feelings (especially the one where she's overloading thinking about cake. I put it on here, because I just think it's the most accurate thing ever).

Definitely pick this book up if you're looking for something funny and, most of the time, light to read. It may seem heavy, but it's really a glorified picture book, and it's the best kind. I know when I'm feeling down, I'll pick this book up again and read select stories just because I know they'll make me laugh. Read it and see if you agree with me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lovely Bones Book vs. Movie Review

The Lovely Bones book cover I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie/tv series. I could point you to multiple examples where the characters were botched on screen, or plot holes prevailed. The statement that the book is better than the movie usually holds true However, with the increased use of streaming services and the increased utilization of published book material being pulled into the movie/tv world, more and more of our familiar stories are being put to the screen, and hence being put to the test. Some pass: despite some alterations and plot changes, the story and characters remain relatively the same, which bolsters excitement from the fan base. However, others don't, and screenplays that drastically alter the storyline leave fans wishing for a do-over. I definitely have some conflicted feelings regarding The Lovely Bones  and its book-to-movie adaptation. I really did like the book. It's not my favorite, or by any means the best book

Best Louisa May Alcott Quotes from Little Women with Chapter Numbers

  Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) was an American writer best known for her novel Little Women and its sequels, Little Men and Jo's Boys , which were inspired by her own family. She was raised by transcendentalist parents in New England and grew up knowing many prominent intellectuals, including Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Longfellow. Below, find the best quotes from  Little Women  with their corresponding chapter numbers! Little Women Let us be elegant or die. Volume 1 Chapter 3 I like good strong words that mean something. Volume 1 Chapter 4 There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.  Volume 1 Chapter 4 Watch and pray, dear; never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault. Volume 1 Chapter 8 My child, the tro

The Bronze Key Book Review

To be destroyed from within is more dangerous than having an outside enemy. It's easy to turn against the people you thought you knew and trusted when a mysterious spy enters the story. With this new enemy, the kids of the Magisterium face a new threat, one they can't see. The third book in the Magisterium series is cleverly crafted; the authors point readers to where they want us to look, so no one can guess what's coming. Striking and heartbreaking, with such a crazy cliffhanger, Holly Black and Cassandra Clare succeed again at writing another well-paced, action-packed, complex middle grade novel.  Holly Black and Cassandra Clare first met over ten years ago at Holly's first-ever book signing. They have since become good friends, bonding over (among other things) their shared love of fantasy. With Magisterium, they decided to team up to write their own story about heroes and villains, good and evil, and being chosen for greatness, whether you like it or not. Holly is